Click any photo to enlarge

Friday, June 19, 2015

More ducklings... for a while

That domestic duck, that had been setting, hatched at least two ducklings yesterday. I'm not sure how many she hatched, but today I saw two being viciously attacked by the other ducks. I doubt they'll survive the day. Nature is splendid, but sad at the same time.  She's keeping them either real close, or in the nest, but I know that won't be enough to save them.


Here are the other ducks that were hatched here. The adult on the back right is the one who hatched three this spring, only to lose them all to the other ducks. Now she hangs out with the five nearly grown from her sibling's brood (originally 8) like a surrogate mother. 


That makes a total of 13 ducklings hatched this year... that I know about.

On a brighter note, here is the best view I've ever had of the question mark on a Question Mark butterfly.


In case you're wondering, it's perched on the faded lettering of our mailbox.

A lot of damselfly mating going on.

Desert Firetails

Spreadwing, either Plateau or Southern
Still haven't seen a female Eastern Amberwings. Just two males again today.



No comments:

Post a Comment