Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, July 11, 2016

Hot Lajitas odeing today

I took over 300 photos and don't feel I scratched the surface. Didn't even make it to the golf shop pond, the big lake, back stream, or the Rio Grande River. Having so much fun that I lasted a record 2½ hrs. Got a lifer Bronzed River Cruiser, which was the highlight of the day for me. I would have enjoyed it more if I had ID'd it by myself, but had to post it to the Texas ode group.


Where but Lajitas would you see a palm growing in the crotch of a cottonwood tree?


Seems I'm getting addicted to photographing robberflies, too. Here's another one.


This next insect Brian says is some kind of cicada. My first cicada pic posted.


Back in Alpine I made a quick check of the habitat out back and discovered this juvenile Yellow-crowned Night-Heron. 


I'm disappointed in myself that I didn't ID the night-heron or river cruiser without help. Very senile of me. On the ode, I looked through my Texas ode guide before I downloaded the photos and didn't see any that had the two-toned blue thorax that I recalled. I think if I had scrutinized the book after I downloaded, I might have nailed it. Like to think so anyway. Then on the night-heron, I grabbed my trusted Sibley guide and looked at both the Yellow-crowned and Black-crowned and failed to tell which of the two it was. It's more obvious in the National Geographic guide, but I should have easily told from the Sibley. I hope I've learned a lesson here. I need a nap.

It bothers me that I may have seen several other lifers today but didn't recognize them. So many unusual ones look like common ones to me. Hopefully my skills will improve. I'm going to try to go to Lajitas more often this summer. That should help.


No comments:

Post a Comment