Click any photo to enlarge

Friday, June 22, 2018

A roller coaster day

I hadn't heard from the electrician since my threat to take legal action if he didn't show up Friday (today), so I didn't even bother to show up at the oasis this morning. (I'm down) Shortly after 11 AM I got a call from my sister that the electrician was at CMO. (I'm up) I went tearing down there. Not really tearing since endless road work and following pilot cars for endless miles kind of put a damper on tearing. (That would be up and down repeatedly)

When I got here it was just the electrician's helper that was here. He had my electricity turned off, but hey, even that's progress. No AC and it was hot. (Down)

Nothing to do but watch odes at the oasis. Right quick I find what I think is the Five-striped Leaftail that I had seen here the other day. But fortunately I decided to photograph it anyway. Turns out to be a new oasis species, Gray Sanddragon. (I'm up)  I have seen them before at Shafter. 




Finally, just before 3 PM the electrician shows up. (I'm up) By then, his helper is suffering from heat exhaustion. They turn on the power and nothing at the oasis. (down) They went back to the guesthouse and did something at the new breaker box and got power. (up) It should have worked the first time if it had been done correctly, in my opinion, but hey, give the kid a break. Heat exhaustion.

So the helper leaves. The pump still isn't working. (really down) The electrician decides it's either the new control box or the new pump since 240 volts is getting to the control box. Sometimes the pump comes on, sometimes not. He also decides the new pressure switch isn't working right. He switches out the new switch for the old one that had been doing the same thing. But he thinks the old one is working better.

He was ready to leave and said he'd be back in the morning. I pretended to believe him. On my way to the house I decided to clean up the mess of old wires, breakers etc he had left behind at the guesthouse, thrown into a nearby bush making it twice as hard for me to clean up. But hey, heat exhaustion and all.

Since I have company coming to stay in the guesthouse tomorrow, I thought I had better check it just in case. And sure enough, no electricity to it or its water pressure pump. Now I've just gone from desperate to dire. (numb) I texted the electrician and he reassured me he'll be here tomorrow. (numb)


No comments:

Post a Comment