Click any photo to enlarge

Tuesday, June 19, 2018

Dragonfly season

Once the summer rains start and I get lots of water, then it's dragonfly season. I couldn't stand to sit in town all day when I spend so many months impatiently waiting for dragonfly season. I was determined to  photograph dragonflies somewhere. There are lots of places* to choose from, but it makes more sense to go to the oasis where I have all the comforts of home, plus getting a special dragonfly there is more meaningful to me.

Atop spillway of big tank

Down in "dragonfly pond"
I didn't actually see any especially interesting odes today, but for sure won't if I don't look. Had plenty of time to take some time lapse shots of myself. Odes seen today were: Desert Firetail, Familiar Bluet, Eastern Amberwing, Great Pondhawk, Common Pondhawk, Blue Dasher, Thornbush Dasher, Red Saddlebag, Wandering Glider, Spot-winged Glider, Flame Skimmer, Roseate Skimmer and Common Whitetail.

Red Saddlebag
Thornbush Dasher

Elada Checkerspot
Still not many butterflies and those I did see I wasn't able to get photos of. Lots is blooming so won't be long. Today the beebrush really kept the oasis heavily perfumed. Very few mosquitos so far. I'm thinking the more mosquitos, the more dragonflies.
_____________________________________________

Choices include: Balmorhea State Park and lake, Madera Canyon at Lawrence Woods Picnic Area, Sandia Wetlands near Balmorhea, Cibolo Creek in Shafter, Bishop Wetlands near Presidio, Lajitas and Post Park south of Marathon.

1 comment:

  1. Your oasis is aptly named today. :-)

    Carla in NE Texas

    ReplyDelete