Click any photo to enlarge

Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Owlet moth

I'm not into moths but I photograph interesting ones if I see them at the oasis. The other day I photographed this owlet moth, and just now got it ID'd. It's a Staghorn Cholla (Euscirrhopterus cosyra) moth.


Here's a photo of our 'Bubba' hybrid Desert Willows in Alpine.


For years I've been labeling my Eastern and Western Pondhawk photos as Common Pondhawks because they've lumped them together into one species, with the Western being a subspecies of the Eastern. But to be on the safe side I decided to try to separate them in case the powers that be change it back to separate species. But I just read that they interbreed, so I doubt it's that simple. If I had to say this one is one or the other, I'd call it an Eastern. Best I can do.





No comments:

Post a Comment