Click any photo to enlarge

Tuesday, September 11, 2018

Lovely oasis day


Even though today was the day we pumped out the stucco tank so I can repair the leaks, I was happy being surrounded by dear friends and plenty of help. We ran three pumps to make it go faster.


It's now pumped out and waiting for the leaks to stop running water into the tank so I can patch and refill. Hopefully, tomorrow. This next photo is where I patched it a couple of years ago. My patch was tough, but it cracked across the middle. I chiseled this hole to make it easier to patch. Can't patch a crack very well. Gonna use expandable quick drying cement with fiber in it. Bet that'll hold.


Michael Gray was of invaluable assistance today. He's my hero! And also had help from his lovely wife's brother-in-law. I appreciate the time the others spent hanging around and listing what migrants are dropping by.

Today the amberwings appeared, three days after monsoons filled everything with water. My camera OIS (image stabilization) switch was AGAIN accidentally turned off. I was so disgusted that  I super-glued it to the "on" position. I missed a good photo of what is probably a Mexican Amberwing. Either that or a teneral Eastern. I've no idea what the tenerals look like. So here's the only documentation I got.


Lots of other odes showing up at the dragonfly pond and other places holding water, including an adult male and female Eastern Amberwing.

Female Eastern Amberwing
Twelve-spotted Skimmer

Female Red Saddlebags
Day before yesterday my sister saw this Trans-Pecos Copperhead up our mountain. I've never seen one.


No comments:

Post a Comment