Click any photo to enlarge

Monday, September 17, 2018

So much for yesterday's big rain

Remember my sister called me that we got a big rain and the arroyo was raging? She's a mile downstream from the oasis so I couldn't wait to get down there today to see if my tanks caught enough water to top off the stucco tank, or maybe everything was full.

Well, no runoff at CMO into anything. But I'm not worried. Once I get the new tank I'll never have to worry again. We're forecast for rain all week, the stucco tank doesn't seem to be leaking, and nothing is going to stop me from getting the new tank.

Back in Alpine I captured a shot of a pair of lovey-dovey Inca Doves.



Another Lajitas story. On September 7th some ode seekers, Bob and David, arrived on their first visit to the Big Bend, staying in a motel at Study Butte. I took them to Lajitas the afternoon they arrived. We had fun. Didn't see anything really great but Bob got a photo of a Plateau Dragonlet, which was a lifer for him. We planned to go odeing again the next day.

Bob

But very early the next morning (8th) CMO finally got its monsoonal rain, so I pretty much abandoned the guys and stayed at CMO to pump the water into the stucco tank. Left on their own, and knowing nowhere else in the Big Bend except Lajitas, where I had taken them, they returned there so David could get the Plateau Dragonlet, as well. They're both excellent photographers. So they photographed everything of interest to them. In the process, David shot a dragonfly that he thought was probably a female Four-spotted Pennant. We visited there again the next day (9th) and took a golf cart farther into the golf course than previously when we had just walked to the closest ponds. We didn't revisit the close ponds that day figuring we'd pretty much seen what was there.

David and me
After they got back to Arkansas they started processing their photos. David discovered that pennant was actually a Tawny Pennant, a first Brewster County record. Sure hate to have missed out on that one. Here's David's photo of it.





No comments:

Post a Comment