Click any photo to enlarge

Saturday, August 18, 2018

A small disappointment

I was excited about trying for a closer photo of the Mexican Amberwing and had carefully planned how to do it. They don't fly in the mornings but I kept checking, just in case. Finally, shortly before noon the amberwings were out. I snapped several shots as they did their thing, but when I entered the water they kept moving deeper into the lotuses. I waded after them but lost track of which was which. When I downloaded my photos I had shots of one Mexican and one Eastern. And not close ones.

Mexican Amberwing

Eastern Amberwing
So my plan was to sit real still in a chair in the water and wait for them to approach close. Except Mother Nature had other plans. It clouded up and stayed dark and dismal for the rest of the afternoon, interspersed with bouts of rain. Here I am sitting, but nothing was moving. It was sprinkling when my husband shot this photo.


And tomorrow morning I have to go get work done at the oasis. No rain there. Need to water and service feeders besides coat the guesthouse siding. Bummer! Hope I can keep my energy going that long. My next chance to try for closer shots of the Mexican Amberwing will be Monday afternoon if I can get my work done and get back to town in time.

Today in Alpine I saw some lovely Texas Skeleton Plant flowers  growing in the fence row where they escaped my husband's mower blades. 



No comments:

Post a Comment