Click any photo to enlarge

Thursday, August 23, 2018

Slow oasis day

I arrived at the oasis before 8 AM and even though the temperature was 67,° cool enough that I wasn't watching for snakes, I came dangerously close to this Diamondback before I spotted it coiled below the seed feeder as I was filling it. It could be a Mojave, I'm not sure.


The weather is so hot that migrants aren't rushing south, so birding is real slow. Too bad, too, with groups due to arrive daily with the Davis Mountains Hummingbird Celebration. Good thing the field trip to CMO is called "Lucifer Madness," because they're the most abundant species here right now. I don't know who ever came up with that name, but I like it.

After that slow soaking rain the other day things are blooming and more butterflies are around. Not many odes though. No amberwings all month, which is strange. All I can think of is that the tank water is stagnant with that red scum on it and no pondweed. Hope it recovers soon. 

Here are the only pics I took today, other than the snake --- a Spot-winged Glider dragonfly and an Western Wood-Pewee. Neither are particularly interesting.




No comments:

Post a Comment