Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, August 19, 2018

Not according to plan

I left Alpine at 6:30 AM to get done all I had planned to do. Unbeknownst to me, it had started drizzling at CMO around 6 AM. Even though it was pretty much over by the time I arrived, the big hill was too muddy for me to get up.


Since I almost made it up, had I thought to put some rocks in the bed of the pickup, I'm sure I would have made it. But I walked in. And walked to check the upper dirt tank. It had a little puddle in the deep part so I walked to get gas and start the pump. I don't do walking as good as I used to. Bad back.

P1050162

After I pumped out the water, I walked back to my pickup and put rocks in the back. Drove it out, but was worn out, and hadn't even started on the guesthouse yet.

So I worked on it until around 2 PM when my shoulder wouldn't lift the paint brush anymore. Went up to the house and fixed some lunch and took an hour long nap. Then went and serviced my hummingbird feeders and washed the dirty ones.

Still have half the siding coating to do. I plan to do it in the morning before heading to town to photograph the Mexican Amberwing. That stuff I bought seems like water with Elmer's Glue added. Don't know how good it'll be, but surely better than without it.

Finished concrete window ledge
Somewhere during my day I got it into my head that there were a couple of bad rocks in the road that would come out now that it was wet. So I took the pick and did the deed. Hurt my back of course, so hobbling around worse than usual. Didn't have time to sort out the hummers. If there are any real interesting species here I'm sure the groups that are coming Thursday through Sunday will find them.

I had planned to water the oasis while I was here but with that over half an inch of soaking this morning, I'm going to let it go until I get back down here.

Hardly have any odonates here. Disappointing, but with a Mexican Amberwing in town, I'm not complaining. Hope it hangs around.


No comments:

Post a Comment