Click any photo to enlarge

Saturday, August 4, 2018

Downsizing CMO

For several months I've contemplated letting some of my less desirable trees go. Originally I had planned a much smaller oasis but got carried away with planting. Now that I've had 20 plus years to grow and observe things, I think I need to make it somewhat less of a maintenance burden. I've already stopped watering the apricot tree. It's old, ugly and non-native. Wouldn't last much longer anyway, so better to focus that water on something better. Its leaves have died already. Don't know if rains will revive it or not.

I've cut down on watering the oak trees. They're just good for bears. If they survive on less water, fine, but I don't want to expend a lot of water on them. And during the 2011 drought I lost two of my three cottonwoods.  I hope to keep my one cottonwood tree healthy, plus my native cherry tree, madrones, rosewood, hackberries, junipers, cypresses and quite a few others. And of course the pine trees. Soapberry thickets are growing on their own and are just as valuable to wildlife. I'll still have a habitat, just maybe not as lush, but more natural looking. That's my plan, anyway.

Mesquites are growing all over the place. I haven't taken them out because if other stuff dies, at least I'll have something. They're better than nothing. Since I'm changing with age, it's only fitting that the oasis changes too.

Finished watering before it got hot this morning, then took a couple of shots of the Rufous Hummingbird and headed to town. A few other migrants are showing up at the oasis as well.




No comments:

Post a Comment