Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, August 5, 2018

Balmorhea day

Actually, I only spent a couple of hours in Balmorhea. It was so hot there and I was exhausted. Not only did I not get enough sleep last night, but since I raked some on my road it hurts somewhat to walk. Probably just a nerve in my back or something, but it slows me down for now.

First I went to Sandia Wetlands, which was looking good. Had water in it and lots of odes and some shorebirds.


Juvenile Wilson's Phalaropes

Long-billed Dowitchers

Here's the new dragonfly pond at Sandia. It'll soon be overtaken by cattails, I fear.


I know wherefore I speak. In 2001 I created a cienega wetland at CMO. It was lined with at least a foot of bentonite. And I planted a few cattails in it. Soon the cattails filled the place and penetrated the seal. Had to abandon the whole project.


At that time I wasn't into dragonflies. My current dragonfly pond is lined with concrete, but leaks. It's great for odes after monsoons for a few weeks. But usually looks more like this.


After leaving Sandia I made a short visit to Balmorhea State Park where I photographed a few more odes. Saw a Halloween Pennant too but couldn't get a decent shot at it. Here are a couple of shots of a Four-striped Leaftail.




No comments:

Post a Comment