Click any photo to enlarge

Sunday, August 26, 2018

Third and final field trip

Whew! It was so fun, except for the lack of migrants. At least everyone was happy with the Lucifer show. One participant today even said that he'd been in the area for six days with the hummingbird celebration and visiting CMO was the highlight of his trip. That was very nice to hear after having so few birds around.

And guess what? Mac Womack entered a photo of the Lucifer display in the festival's art contest and won 1st place. Remember him? He's from Houston and tries to stay at CMO for a month every year. Hopefully, he'll be able to come again next spring. I'm not sure if this is the exact version of the winning photo but close to it. He's gifting me with the photo that won, but I don't have it yet. Will hang it at CMO when I get it. Thanks Mac, for enhancing my world!


Here's a photo I took this morning of a Black Saddlebag that I rather like.


ALERT! As I was blogging, some birders came to our habitat here in Alpine and while I was watching the feeders with them I spotted a juvenile male Costa's Hummingbird. My pictures didn't turn out good, but Amy Richards shared hers with me, so I'll post hers instead of mine. Hopefully it'll be here tomorrow and I'll get a better photo.


Come to find out that while I was busy with field trips at the oasis for the last 3 days, 2 visiting birders to our place in town had photographed the Costa's, but hadn't ID'd it. So that means the bird was here on the 24th.  Here is Mike Petrick's photo posted with his permission. It's my favorite so far. Thanks, Mike.


Tomorrow will be exciting if it's here still. I'm not 100% convinced it's not a hybrid Costa's/Anna's based on other photos I've seen of it.


No comments:

Post a Comment