Click any photo to enlarge

Friday, August 31, 2018

Rare stray Alpine butterfly

My butterfly guru, Brian, saw at least two Orange-barred Sulphurs floating around Alpine today. He captured one for me to photograph. It's a lifer for me. Since I went with him and watched them flying, I can count it. I wish one would have perched so I could have gotten a natural photo of it, but this is better than nothing. A gorgeous butterfly!


He had a hard time catching it. They fly higher than butterflies usually do and stayed out of reach for the most part. But he persevered.

Other than that, I made a quick trip to CMO to service feeders early this morning. They were fine. Hardly any hummer activity there. Things needed watering but I'm hoping it'll rain this week. I really needed to be in town today, so didn't water.

Still working on son's mobile home. It's coming together.


Not sure if I posted this before, but my husband had a dark patch on his face that didn't look good to me. He said it had been there a long time and was nothing. His local doctor wasn't concerned, but when he went to the dermatologist in Odessa they wanted to biopsy it. Turns out it's early stage melanoma "in situ." That apparently means it hasn't spread. But with cancers on his skin where he can see them, I wonder what's hiding inside his body.


I didn't see the Costa's Hummingbird today, but I only watched for about an hour during the slow time of the afternoon. Here's my favorite photo of it taken by Amanda Brochu last Sunday not long after I identified it and posted it online. Shared here with her permission.




1 comment: