Click any photo to enlarge

Friday, August 10, 2018

My friend, Bonnie McKinney

There aren't many people like me, but there are some. In the Big Bend area I know of one other person. That's Bonnie McKinney. I met her years ago when I had a record number (4) of Peregrines (for the Big Bend area) fledge on my mountain above CMO and wanted it documented for the records. At the time she was working for Texas Parks & Wildlife and was the person they sent out.

Sometime after that she took a job with Cemex south of Big Bend National Park in Mexico doing conservation work there, and we had almost no contact. Then a few year ago she became wildlife manager for El Carmen Land and Conservation just east of BBNP in the US. Recently, we have been in communication. It's uncanny how similar our lives are. And I just found out she's also an artist. Here's more info on the project she's working on. I hope to get to visit it one of these days.

http://marfapublicradio.org/blog/nature-notes/el-carmen-land-and-conservation-restoring-the-big-bends-harshest-terrain/


We both are extremely busy, active, outdoors, watering, filling feeders, maintaining two places (her second home is in Del Rio), and have similar health situations. We can relate. Now we're both sick of the heat and wanting monsoons in the worst way.

UPDATE: My sister called late this afternoon to let me know we're getting a little rain at the oasis. Maybe tomorrow my tanks will fill.




No comments:

Post a Comment